Friday we had our 20 week anatomy scan and everything went great. The baby’s heartbeat was a healthy 154, and all of the measurements were right on on schedule, around 20 weeks 4 days. After finding out both baby and I were healthy and doing great, we were excited to find out whether we were having a boy or a girl. It turns out that Baby ‘A’ is a …
Boy! We are over-the-moon excited about having a sweet little boy, and although we obviously would have been thrilled with either one, I know Tim is very excited to have a son. I have had a hunch pretty much since the moment I found out I was pregnant that it was a boy, and it turns out I was right! (Even though I did have a 50-50 chance!) I would say about 99% of people were guessing boy with me for one reason or another, so I think I would have been even more surprised if it would have been a girl.
I thought it would be fun to put some of the old wives’ tales to the test to see if the predictions would have been right for guessing our baby was a boy. I used a few of these tests I found online:
- Carrying Low? (boy) – Yes!
- Acne? (girl) – Yes and No – I had quite a few blemishes around week 8-10, but now my face is pretty cleared up!
- Heart rate under 140 beats per minute (boy) – Yes and No – I think it depends on when in pregnancy this is measured. My early results were under 140, but now they are in the average 150’s for a 20 week pregnancy
- Craving sweets? (girl) – No!
- Craving salty & sour? (boy) – Yes!
- Spouse putting on weight? (girl) – No! He has been training for a half marathon so he’s actually been losing weight, while I gain ha! I guess this tale has to do with ice cream and craving sweets if it’s a girl, but I would think craving salt and vinegar potato chips, pizza and Mexican food would put on weight too!
- Morning sickness? (girl) – Yes and No -I had morning sickness from about week 7-11, but it was just a constant nausea. I at least never ended up getting sick.
So I think I did fit with more of the boy wives tales, but a few of the questions are toss ups depending on how you’d rate it on a scale of 1 to 10. Either way, I am looking forward to being a mama to a little boy! I am praying that he always knows how loved and adored he is by his parents, and I pray that we can also raise him up to be a man of character who lives out Christ’s plan for his life with confidence and joy.
- If you are a mom, did you ever test out the old wives’ tales to find out the whether you were having a boy or girl? How did the tests turn out for you?
- Any tips for raising a little boy?? I am quite the girly girl so this will be a learning process for me, but thankfully I did grow up with a brother so I do know a thing or two about boys!