Peanut butter is a favorite food of mine that seems to make its way into my diet pretty much every single day. Not only is it cheap and cost effective for my grocery bill, but it also has a simple ingredient list (typically just roasted salted peanuts), is a quick and easy choice when I need a snack, is nutritiously filled with all of those healthy fats and protein, and makes everything it is slathered on taste delicious. I swear, sometimes it seems to be yelling “Eat me!” from inside the cupboard where it sits on my Lazy Susan just waiting to be consumed.
My absolute favorite brand of peanut butter is the Kroger Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, but I also like the Creamy Salted from Trader Joe’s, and the 365 Creamy Peanut Butter from Whole Foods. What can I say; when it comes to my peanut butter I stick to the simple, money saving store brands. I have actually yet to find a $5.00 jar that I prefer!
So what is with my love of peanut butter on this random Thursday you may ask? Well, today is January 24th, 2013 and it is National Peanut Butter Day!
Peanut butter is an ingredient you see all over the blog world, and for good reason! It is one of those foods I used to think was off limits for someone wanting to stay fit because of the high calorie count and loads of fat grams. However, I couldn’t have been more wrong! After getting past the fear of peanut butter and choosing to add it into my meals, I quickly began to crave the healthy fats I had missed for so long. My hair is extra shiny and healthy, I have more energy, and I don’t even feel those hunger pains anymore. Some of my favorite ways to eat peanut butter are:
- A Dollop on Top of Oatmeal
- Smeared onto Apple and Banana Slices
- Stirred into Greek Yogurt
- Spread on Top of a Rice Cake, Slice of Whole Wheat Bread, English Muffin, or Light Tortilla
- Added to a Smoothie
- Mixed into Batters: Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Cupcakes, Breads, etc.
- Straight from a Spoon!
As you can see, peanut butter does not have to be saved for special occasions; it can be enjoyed at any time of the day! Don’t be afraid to give it a try and throw a jar or two into your cart next time you’re at the grocery.
Here are some blog recipes using peanut butter (even making peanut butter!) that have caught my eye:
Here are a few of my favorite peanut butter recipes from www.newlywifehealthylife.wordpress.com:
Craving peanut butter yet? After all of those delicious recipes, how about one more!
Peanut Butterscotch Protein Shake
- 1 cup Almond Milk (Or Milk of Choice)
- 1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 tablespoon Sugar-Free Butterscotch Pudding Mix
- 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Xantham Gum (For Thickening)
- 1/2 cup Ice
- 2 tablespoons Light Whip Cream
What is your favorite way to eat peanut butter?
- Do you have a favorite recipe using peanut butter? Feel free to link up!
- What is your favorite brand/flavor of peanut butter?
- Are you going to celebrate National Peanut Butter Day? If so, how?!