I haven’t shared many eats on the blog in awhile because honestly, I thought my diet would be a dead give away to my pregnancy. These past few weeks I have introduced vegetables back into my meals, but from about week 7-12 my days were consisting of bagels, saltine crackers, ginger ale, bread with butter, and pickles, pickles and more pickles. It was pretty clear to what was going on behind the scenes. I was (still am!) a pickle-loving pregnant cliche!
I have always been a pretty healthy eater and would like to remain that way throughout the course of my pregnancy, but I have definitely found myself enjoying chips and dip more than ever before. The funny thing though is that I really do find myself craving ‘real’ foods like baked sandwiches, cheeseburgers, soups, grilled chicken and veggies, pasta with chicken, marinara or meat sauce, tacos and burrito bowls, and chicken salads more than foods like cake, cookies or brownies. For someone who has always had a sweet tooth, my salty cravings have definitely taken over!
- I have been obsessed with tomatoes and marinara sauce this entire pregnancy, so this past Friday I made homemade Chicken Parmesan from scratch. It was everything I hoped it would be! I sliced two large chicken breasts in half to create four thin pieces. I then dipped the chicken in egg and then in flour that had salt and pepper, grated parmesan, garlic powder, basil, oregano and onion powder mixed in as well. I then pan seared the chicken breasts in olive oil on both sides, poured in some marinara sauce (Store bought Tomato-Basil from Trader Joe’s), and topped the chicken with fresh mozzarella. Into the oven it went to finish cooking for about 12 minutes, and then I broiled on high for a minute or two to get the mozzarella slightly browned and bubbly.
- Any drink that is cold and delicious has been okay in my book! I have actually had a hard time drinking water this pregnancy, so I am hoping that craving will return soon. In the mean time, I have been obsessed with Icees and could literally drink one every day! I am limiting myself since I know all the sugar isn’t the best, but if I really want one then I cave. Besides, since my dessert cravings haven’t been there I figured a large Icee is just as fine as an ice cream sundae in moderation.
- I have also been loving root beer floats! This and my gelato-ice (below) is the closest I have come to really craving desserts. I literally had a diet root beer + scoop of vanilla ice cream every single day until I ran out of root beer. This made me so happy!
- Since I have been craving ice-types of drinks, I finally had my first Rita’s experience. I ordered the gelato, which was a half vanilla custard + half cherry starburst mix. Honestly before pregnancy I probably would have said the custard was my favorite part, but being pregnant and loving flavored ice, I believe the cherry half has now stolen my heart.
- Mexican food has been one of my favorite go-to meals this pregnancy. I just can’t get enough of those spicy flavors, salty chips, and guacamole and sour cream toppings. I ordered this taco salad from Qdoba that had chicken, rice, black beans, light cheese, sour cream, mild salsa and guacamole all in a taco salad shell. Have I mentioned how much I love Qdoba? Chipotle is obviously amazing, but I really do think Qdoba is my favorite. They aren’t stingy with the toppings at all, and I love how their meats are grilled and slightly charred. If you have never ordered the Mexican Gumbo from there it is a must try before the weather gets too warm!
- Here is another Italian meal I had at my parents’ house. Tim was out of town on business so my parents invited me over to eat dinner and they ordered from one of my favorite childhood eateries in my hometown. We split a couple orders of the spaghetti with meatballs, garlic bread and a homemade chopped salad topped with beets, which I love as a salad topping. Since I arrived at their house a little early, I whipped up the salad with what I could find in the fridge, and along with the beets it also had carrots, mozzarella, diced tomatoes and chopped iceberg.
- Spring teased us on a beautiful Sunday, so we decided to grill outside for the first time this season! We made shrimp kabobs, filet and corn-on-the-cob and it was so delicious. I seriously cannot wait for summer to be able to grill out all the time! It makes everything so much tastier and clean-up is a breeze.
- This was probably the healthiest pizza I’ve ever had – a butternut squash, sweet potato and kale pizza from Trader Joe’s. Honestly it wasn’t my favorite, I had to add a bit more parmesan to the top because it was really lacking a melty cheese layer, but it was great for squeezing in a ton of veggies while still getting to eat pizza! I had half the pizza along side pan seared Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon… because obviously that was the healthy choice!
- If you have been pregnant before, what were your cravings? Were you loving more salty or sweet eats?
- Or, even if you have never been pregnant, what do you prefer: salty or sweet?
- What is your favorite type/brand/flavor of chips? I am looking for some new varieties to try!
- Are you team Chipotle or Qdoba, or someplace similar?
- What is the best thing you’ve eaten lately?